Pennsylvanis Treasury - Earn. Learn. Invest.

Home | About | Contact | Newsroom | e-Contracts | Board of Finance & Revenue | Debit Card Program 

Women & Money
financial education

Using a finder? Be sure state requirements are met
We never charge a fee to put your money back in your wallet. However, if you do use a finder, there are specific requirements set forth in the Disposition of Abandoned and Unclaimed Act (DAUPA), at 72 P.S. §1301.11 (g), relating to agreements with finders. All agreements or powers of attorney to recover or collect abandoned and unclaimed property are valid and enforceable only if the agreements:

  • Are in writing and duly signed and acknowledged by the owner;
  • Clearly state the fee or compensation to be paid, which shall not exceed fifteen per centum of the value of the abandoned and unclaimed property;
  • Disclose the nature and value of the property; and
  • Disclose the name and address of the holder and, if known, whether the abandoned and unclaimed property has been paid or delivered to the State Treasurer.

If you have signed an agreement or power of attorney with a third party (finder) or have paid a finder to recover unclaimed property, and you believe that the finder has not complied with the above-referenced provisions of the DAUPA, you are encouraged to file a complaint with the Office of Attorney General, Bureau of Consumer Protection, by calling 1-800-441-2555.

Furthermore, personal identification information relating to unclaimed property claimants, including Social Security numbers, is confidential. We do not make such information available to the public or to third parties engaged in business as “finders” of unclaimed, lost, or abandoned property.

“Finders” have access to publicly advertised lists of owners of unclaimed property. These lists do not contain the Social Security numbers of owners, and we do not provide that information to “finders.” However, some “finders” use sources available on the internet to obtain Social Security numbers, or portions thereof, relating to owners of unclaimed property, as well as the amount of that property.

If you are worried about possible identity theft, you should contact the U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s identity theft hotline at 1-877-438-4338 or visit the FTC’s web site at The U.S. Social Security Administration’s Office of Inspector General also has a Fraud Hotline to contact if you have questions concerning the buying and selling of Social Security information. Their toll-free hotline is 1-800-269-0271 and their web site is

Remember, we do not charge a fee to recover unclaimed property. In the future, search our website or call our customer service center at 1-800-222-2046 to determine if you have any unclaimed property. If you have lived in states other than Pennsylvania, visit to search other state databases.

Search for your property!
Company/Last Name

First Name
PA529 College Savings Program Investment Report Resources webinars

Copyright The Pennsylvania Treasury Department. All Rights Reserved | Right To Know | Disclaimer | Site Map | Employee Portal